A new year

Happy 2005, everyone! So much to tell, so little desire to type, but here goes.

Went to Pennsylvania for Christmas, and had a nice visit with the in-laws. Had to leave a day late because of the huge-ass snowstorm the day before we were supposed to leave. The roads were just fine all the way out though, so it turned out OK. Got to see pretty much everyone, bonded a little with my sister-in-law which I really enjoyed, and had an all around good time.

Spent New Year’s Eve with the Stephensons. They made dinner, we took bread dip and games. We ate, drank, played Beyond Balderdash, gorged ourselves on bread dip, drank, and played euchre, all while watching Sci-Fi channel’s Twilight Zone marathon (most of which is our New Year’s tradition – Beyond Balderdash was a new addition). Again, an all around good time.

New Year’s Day – not such a good time. I woke up around noon and thought it was a little chilly downstairs so I turned up the heat. Then I actually looked at the temperature, which was around 60 degrees, and said to myself, “Oh shit.” When the furnace fan refused to kick on after I cranked the thermostat up to like 90, I said to myself, “Oh SHIT!” Then I woke Dave up, and we made lots of phone calls and eventually the furnace go fixed on Wednesday. Yes, Wednesday. That’s about 4 1/2 days without heat. Luckily New Year’s Day wasn’t too cold, and we found our space heater and borrowed a space heater from one of my co-workers. We were able to get the downstairs up to almost 70 each night before we went to bed, and it usually only dropped down to about 60 during the night.

So that takes us up to Jan. 5. On Jan. 7 we found out that Dave’s grandpa, my mother-in-law’s father, had passed away that morning, so we went back out to PA the next Tuesday night for the funeral Wednesday morning in N.J. After sleeping from about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday to about 9:30 a.m. Thursday, we went back to N.J. to see Dave’s grandma, who had been pretty much in a coma for a few months and had Alzheimer’s. She passed away Friday afternoon around 4, which we were there for, having never gone back to my in-laws’ house from the Thursday visit. We left Saturday afternoon and got back Saturday night. It was a pretty rough week, but Dave seems to be doing OK now.

So that pretty much brings us to now. We started doing Weight Watchers, which we didn’t follow while we were in PA/NJ, but we’re back on it. As of right now I’ve lost about five pounds, which isn’t much but it’s encouraging. We were going to go to my parents’ house today to celebrate my mom’s birthday, but since it’s snowing and is supposed to snow a whole big crappy bunch, we pushed it back to next weekend. Maybe I’ll actually be productive today and clean the house and shit, but I kind of doubt it.

I was going to end this with a nasty comment about this being the Roe v. Wade anniversary, but I think all I’m going to say is go thank your mother for giving you life.

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: