Longest. Drive. Ever.

Well, Dave and I trekked to the Outer Banks of North Carolina last week, and I must say, as nice of a time as it was, I’ve never been so happy to see the streets of Findlay as I was at 2:15 a.m. Sunday. What should have been a 14-hour drive home (which is plenty long as it is) turned out to be a 16.5-hour drive home, due to all the traffic around Virginia Beach, Williamstown, etc. Plus I had a headache for almost the entire drive. It was horrid.

But the vacation part of the vacation was nice (although if I never ever smell seafood again it will be much, much too soon). We were there with many of my in-laws: Ellen and Dave, Amy and her fiance Joe, Ellen’s sister and brother-in-law Ann and Herb, their two sons Herbie and Peter, and Herbie’s little boy Jason. That’s a lot of people, but the house they rented was quite large, so it was OK.

Dave and I hung out a lot with Amy & Joe which was good because I feel the need to bond with them. The four of us went to Kitty Hawk (you know, that place where those Wright guys flew that crazy machine thingy), hit the mall, hit the outlet mall (which sucked, as most outlet malls do), had some meals, played some pool. We hung out with everyone else too, of course.

But seriously, for two people who don’t eat seafood, there were some stomach-churning moments, let me tell you. For instance, on Friday we bought some tasty peanut butter/chocolate fudge and wanted to put it in the refrigerator so it wouldn’t get all melty. I opened the fridge and got a gust of crab stink powerful enough to make my eyes water. Big pot o’ crabs sitting in there uncovered. I wanted to puke, I was so sick of smelling crab, shrimp, clams, etc. by that point. Needless to say, the fudge stayed in our room where it only risked soaking up the scent of coconut lime verbena body splash.

The only other troubling thing was that the water was very hard and there was very little water pressure in the shower, both of which made it next to impossible to rinse my hair. It was hard enough making sure all the soap was rinsed off my face, so I just stood under the sucky little spray as long as I thought I could without people thinking I take the longest showers ever and then promptly pulled my wet hair back because the shampoo never quite went away. I hate that!

I could go on, but I think I’ll continue another time, perhaps tomorrow if I feel like it. I’m itching to figure out the whole posting-pictures-on-blogger thing, now that it’s been available for months.

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: